The Loading Screen Error / Freeze / Crash
One of the most common problems with the R4 Revolution DS Card, regardless of whether you are using the R4v2, R4 SDHC, R4v3, or anything else, is the “Loading…” error. The majority of people assume that this is because their R4 card is broken, and immediately panic or send their card back.
THIS IS NOT ALWAYS THE CASE. YOUR R4 CARD IS NOT NECESSARILY BROKEN. READ ON…
The most common problem is that you have the wrong software for your R4 card. Visit our R4 Software Download page for help recognising what kind of card you have, and links to software downloads.
Six Steps to Solve the “Loading” Problem
1) Make sure you have downloaded the correct and latest software. For help with this, please visit our Downloads page here.
2) Make sure the software is position in the root directory – the ‘base’ or first directory of your Micro-SD card. What your Micro-SD card’s files should look like, can be seen below (Note the R4i SDHC has since been replaced by the R4i 3DS, but the file structure remains similar):
3) Give your Micro SD a good clean (a good blow or two, as the card contacts can be sensitive to dirt).
4) Make sure that the micro SD is not overloaded. The remainder of your Micro-SD card’s memory is needed to keep your card running in tip top shape. As a guide, we recommend filling your Micro-SD card no more than 60% full. That means that for a 1GB card, we only recommend filling it 600MB full of games. For a 2GB card, we recommend only filling it up to 1.2GB full,and so on.
5) Make sure the micro SD is pushed down completely into the DS Card (ensure good contact between Micro SD and R4 card). In a very small minority of cases, the micro SD has to be pull up a bit if the ‘click’ between the micro SD and the R4 card causes them to misalign.
6) Reformat your micro SD (FAT16/32) for optimal performance.
7) Use only Micro SD/ SDHC 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 24 and 32GB. *(For R4 v2, only use 2GB micro SD or below)
If the above steps fail, you may want to double check that you have the correct software installed. Go to our DS card software installation and downloads page which may be able to point you in the right direction for genuine cards – because there are so many fake cards on the market, however, we haven’t compiled a list of software downloads for copy / clone DS cards.